Sunday, March 31, 2013

Fun vs. the truth

I heard or overheard "Easter bunny is a lie... just like... parents lied about religion" three times this week.

I have children.  They need to know that Easter is to celebrate the day Christ rose from the dead.   They should also have easter day fun.   I enjoy waking up, hunting for colorfully painted eggs, eating a big breakfast then going to church.  It is fun!  I do not want to take away their fun.

I never tell them the easter bunny is real or true. It is not!  It's just fun.  Santa Clause, the Easter Bunny, and the Tooth Fairy are probably not the false prophets mentioned in the Bible.

The connection between the Easter Bunny and Easter?  Here in Virginia we start seeing bunnies in the spring. Grandma saw the first one of the season this morning, Easter morning! Signs of new life? I think every child knows chickens come from eggs.  New Life!  Spring and the resurrection have things in common.

To believe or not to believe; every American gets to make that choice for themselves.  Not to believe something because of the easter bunny? I can't believe that.

No comments:

Post a Comment